The aim is to involve students in the study of Microbial Ecology in extreme environments and applicative scenarios in the Blue Biotechnologies. Activities are part of the Cooperation Agreement between the University of Messina and the University of Concepción, in force since 2014, and they are also promoted by the "Research Center for the Study of Extreme Environments and Extremophiles" entitled to Prof. Francesco M. Faranda, directed actually by the proponent, to which Prof. Miguel Martínez belongs.
Research projects of common interest active and under review are listed below:
- PNRA 2016 (PNRA16_00020): Antarctic Porifera: hot spots for prokaryotic diversity and biotechnological potentialities (P5), UO3 Responsible Concetta Gugliandolo, University of Messina, Coordinator Dr Angelina Lo Giudice IAMC-CNR, Associated Partner Prof. Miguel Martinez, University of Conception.
- INACH Antarctic Research Program 2018 (under review) “The impact of global change: The airborne particles as a vehicle of long-range dispersion of microorganims and its influence in Antarctic lakes” to be submit to the Institute under the Antarctic Research Program, Coordinator Victor Campos, University of Concepcion, Associated Partner Concetta Gugliandolo, University of Messina.
- INACH Antarctic Research Program 2018 (under review) “Dormancy as a resilient response of bacteria from the Antarctic environment” Antarctic Research Program. Coordinator Miguel Martinez, University of Concepcion, Associated Partner Concetta Gugliandolo, University of Messina.
The teacher will share experiences and results of researches on extreme cold environments with the students attending to the Courses of which the proponent is employed (Microbial Ecology, Marine Microbial Ecology, Environmental Biotechnology and Marine Biotechnology) and with the graduates within the structures of the "Research Center for the study of Extreme Environments and Extremophiles ".
Frontal lessons and seminars will be organized to promote the scientific debate and to formulate new researches and experimental design strategies in the field of Microbial Ecology in extreme cold environments and applicative scenarios in the Blue Biotechnologies.
1. Extremophilic bacteria and their habitats (2h)
2. How bacteria respond to extreme environmental conditions (2h)
3. Molecular response of bacteria to extreme conditions (2h)
4. Case study and papers analysis (2h)
5. Bioremediations in cold environments (2h)
6. Case study and paper analysis (2h).
7. Bacterial resilience (2h)
8. Biotechnological applications of bacteria isolated from cold environments (2h)
9. Case study and paper analysis (2h)
10. Searching for bacteria in Patagonia and Antarctica (2h)
11. Analysis and conclusion (2h)
12. Work discussion with the students (2h)
Microbial Ecology in extreme cold environments and applicative
scenarios in the Blue Biotechnologies.